Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A Pirate's Life for Me

When I was first introduced to International Talk Like A Pirate Day a couple of years ago, I was very surprised. I thought it was a strange but funny idea that almost anyone could get into. Then I realized that only geeks like my friends and I could actually get into this "holiday." Every year I have tried my best to stick to the rules of the day. Of course it usually become nothing but saying "ARRR" a lot during the day.
To learn pirate phrases, one must do a little research. As I found this afternoon, that is actually not as difficult as it sounds. Personally, I would like to have a translator site that would convert your typed text into "pirate speak." I know that it could be done. So maybe by the next ITLA Day, that will be something I could use.
Of the phrases I found, many stick out as being pure pirate talk. Others are a failed attempt at trying too hard to sound like a pirate. Some of the better phrases include, "Arrrgh-Bring me a servin' wench to bid me me pleasures!" or, "Avast, ya scurvy knave! Brave be ye, for certain, but arrr ye willin' ta die fer that parking spot?" Seriously, if you can fit those into daily conversation, you have got serious talent. However, there are just some things that a pirate would never say. For example, I doubt a pirate would ever have a use for the phrase, "Me cell phone fell deep into Davy Jones' locker Nobody flush... I'll go get me hook." But I guess it is really all in good fun.
Today is not over let. It is not too late to talk like a pirate to a few more people. I think going to the store with this gem would be a perfect way to end the day. "I don't know as I recall askin' ye for yer thoughts, ye scurvy bilge-drinkin' tar-merchant. Avast yer gob afore I keelhaul ye an' string yer bones from the crow's nest."

No comments: